2. Theme: Finding a theme that will fit for 26 posts is difficult. A lot of people went on the 'lighter' end, knowing that people would be reading a lot of posts and would appreciate brevity. So I'll explain my decision to go the other way.
- First, I couldn't think of a series of light posts that would capture the spirit of the blog (though something like 'influences' might have worked).
- Second, the communal energy pushed me into some posts I might otherwise not have attempted.
-Third, that's what interested me that month.
-Fourth, I try to write/explore things that aren't already floating out there. It might be why I've been called 'odd' more than once. (I usually take this as praise.)
- All words are not created equal. I found the types of posts I did more draining than, say, writing 500 words about e-books or commenting on another's article. It was more like creating fiction than just tossing out my opinion. (At the same time, my other writing didn't really suffer, so I think the posts were generative to some degree, like core training and squats to the athlete.)
- Balance. I tried to strive for (emotional) balance and dynamics with my topics, but there were times in which I felt like two posts of this type rather than six in the week might have been more effective (for both the reader and the writer). I also noticed this when reading other blogs.
- Visiting scores of new blogs is very exhausting. I found some great new people, but it felt almost like a month-long party does for an introvert.
4. Double-Edge Swords
- Just as communal energy is tremendously invigorating, when the overall motivation level starts to dip, that can also be contagious.
- By pushing ourselves and trying new things, we can better understand what works for us. At the same time, I'm skeptical of non-sustainable approaches. The dangers of backlash, burnout and regression are real.
5. End on a High Note
- It was fun to see what everyone came up with.
- I now have a tab with a clearly organized series of 26 mythic moments, if anyone wants to revisit.
- I did a lot of valuable re-reading. It was interesting to see where my memory differed from the actual text.
- Hope to see you all around in the coming months.
|They propose an A-Z series on treats. Starting now.|